About Me

My photo
My name is Shantell Marie Arnold. I am very loyal to my friends and I try my best to help them out in anyway I can. My hobbies include playing volleyball, sewing, cooking, eating, swimming, biking, hiking and writing poetry. If you would like to read some of my poems, just let me know and I will be more than happy to upload some.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Happy Garifuna Settlement Day

In light of Garifuna Settlement Day and the fact that I am a Garinagu, I've decided to share a couple things from the Garinagu culture as well as some Garifuna words and phrases with you.  Please note that I may not have it spelt correctly as I just hear my mom saying it and sound out the spelling.  Feel free to add more if you know any :-D

Dances: 
Chumba, Charikanari, Wanaragua/Johncanoe, Punta, Piamanadi, Warini, Sanbei, Gunjei, Hungu Hungu, Paranda.

Dishes: 
Hudutu, Tikini, Dunouti, Bundiga, Tapou, Darasa, Harabada, Dani, Bimekakule

Beverages: 
Lalis, Sahou, Gurentu, Letu, Pulali, Gungude, Pinule   


English                                             Garifuna
What is your name?                       Cabiri
My name is Jane                             Jane Niribei
How are you?                                   Idabiangi
I am alright                                        Odigiat
What happen?                                 Cateisa
What's wrong?                                Casameigibei
Where are you going?                  Haliungbadib
Water                                                  Agua/Duna
Go bathe                                             Beiba Agua
Please for some water                   Busetnaduna
Go the the bathroom                     Beiba Amuge
Go to sleep                                         Beiba Umuga
I love you                                           Hisetubunu
I do not like this                              Micieti le nu
My daughter                                     Nisani
My sister                                            Neitu
My mother                                        Nuguchu
Thanks                                               Tenki
Thank you                                        Seremei

6 comments:

  1. At least ur ma talk it to you... I have no one to talk it to me. It's a shame i don't know my own language...
    I'll print the out... This will be a start for me to learn it. Thanks girly.
    Hisentibunu- dats the correct spelling.

    Hisentibunu Neitu
    Volleyball Chica

    ReplyDelete
  2. my bad i tink i had d wrong spelling... lol
    Volleyball chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea thanks! I was trying to figure out the correct spelling and I had that first but changed it back lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my fav dishes are hudut and tapou...
    Volleyball Chica

    ReplyDelete
  5. well once u noh tell me weh de ina d food, i wa more dan likely eat it.. lol but my faves are hudut n tapou.... idk bout d spellings but good job luv... I feel dat my culture is very much appreciated :)
    Miss Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy majority of them... And yes, our culture is very appreciated! :-D

    ReplyDelete